Pinnacol Assurance on LinkedIn

Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

2011 has flown by and here we are a week away from Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and the traditional start of the Holiday season. Of course the holiday ads are already well underway on T.V. and driving home from work last night I saw several houses already decked out in their holiday lights.

Thanksgiving in this country dates back to 1621 though it wasn't until 1863 that it was recognized as a national holiday (for a quick history of Thanksgiving click here). The "banquet" the survivors of the Mayflower partook of 390 years ago bears little resemblance to the 'traditional' feast many Americans look forward to today, but the heart of the holiday still remains the same - taking a moment to pause and give thanks.

One of our staffing partners, Stivers, sent me a letter yesterday that included the following reflections on this that I thought I'd share with you before we all get caught up in the inevitable hustle and bustle that this time of year brings.

On Second Thought,
I’m Thankful for
 
…the mess to clean after a party, because it means I’m surrounded by friends
 
…the taxes I pay, because it means I am employed
 
…the clothes that fit a little too snug, because it means I have enough to eat
 
…my shadow who watches me work, because it means I am out in the sunshine
 
…a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning, and gutters that need fixing, because it means I have a home
 
…all the complaining I hear about the government, because it means we have freedom of speech
 
…the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot, because it means I am capable of walking
 
…my huge heating bill, because it means I am warm
 
…the lady behind me who sings off-key, because it means I can hear
 
…the piles of laundry and ironing, because it means my loved ones are nearby
 
…weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day, because it means I have been productive
 
…the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours, because it means I am alive to see another day

In today's challenging times I know not everyone enjoys all of the blessings mentioned above. Still I appreciated the sentiment that the very things that we sometimes see as burdens may actually be reflections of the things we have to be thankful for. With that in mind, here is wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving!  


No comments:

Post a Comment