Pinnacol Assurance on LinkedIn

Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2015

Where were you?

Fourteen years ago I know exactly where I was. I was sitting in my car at the intersection of Dartmouth and University Blvd. waiting for the light to change. I was on my way to work driving much of the same route I drive to this day. Our offices then were at Colorado and Exposition in the Galleria Towers.

I was listening to NPR's Morning Edition on the radio when the announcer said that a plane had hit one of the towers of the World Trade Center in New York. At first I didn't think much of it; facts were still sketchy and the first reports weren't clear as to what had actually happened. First assumptions were that it was a tragic accident. 17 minutes later a second plane crashing into the World Trade Center's south tower made it horribly clear that this was no accident. Upon arriving at work Pinnacol employees crammed into our wellness center because that was where the only television was. Eyes were glued to the screen, there wasn't a lot of talking, and already tears were beginning to flow.

It wasn't long before management made the decision to close for the day and send people home so they could be with their families. There was also the additional impetus of no one knowing if other attacks were imminent. One of the clearer images from that day was walking outside and hearing an eerie silence - planes were already being grounded and the skies above Denver were as quiet as they have ever been in my lifetime.

Driving in to work this morning I have to admit it took the radio announcer to remind me what today was. I knew it was Friday but hadn't consciously thought about the date. So much has happened in the 5,000 days since 9-11-2001 and the world is a much different place. The ripple effects from 9-11 still impact us today; the recent image of a young refugee boy lying face down in the sand just the latest indication of the waves that still crash around us on a world-wide level. Eyes continue to be glued to screens (though more and more of those screens are not televisions), and the tears continue to flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment