Pinnacol Assurance on LinkedIn

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Winter Wonderland

For our readers in Colorado who woke up to a surprising amount of snow and ice on the roads for the morning commute it was anything but a Winter Wonderland, although I did marvel at the physics in operation as I watched an RTD bus sliding down a slight incline on one of our major roads just missing several cars trying to pass.

You could almost hear the collective sigh of relief as people successfully arrived at whatever location they were heading for. So with all that going on I almost didn't avail myself of my lunchtime exercise. Pinnacol actively encourages employees to be physically active during the work day. I could easily have been tempted to opt for the on-site (and inside!) fitness center, but with the sun just barely starting to peak through the clouds at our location at lunch I threw on the coat and headed out into the elements.

At first I questioned the wisdom (or was it lunacy?) of braving the cold and wind but the Lowry community in which our headquarters is located  offers some very nice walking paths, trails and parks near our building. Its always nice to get out and get some fresh air and today I made first snowy tracks on some of the trails that would normally be filled with walkers, joggers, and cyclists. Arriving at one of the local parks I stopped for a moment to just enjoy the equisite silence of a snowy January day. Looking around I appreciated how different the landscape looks under a mantle of white, and with the clouds coming and going overhead even the whiteness was taking on various hues and textures.

I don't normally take pictures during these excursions but for those of you dreading the commute home this evening I thought I'd share a cell phone shot I captured as I returned to the office. I know our commute home won't be much more fun than it was this morning, but with all of that, the world is still a very beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment