Pinnacol Assurance on LinkedIn

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 4, 2015

My life as an intern at Pinnacol

Hi, my name is Alyson and I am an Intern in the Human Resources department at Pinnacol Assurance. I wanted to share my experience as an intern so I could help people understand what life at Pinnacol Assurance is all about. Maybe this will inspire some to join our family or maybe this will better inform you of what day to day operations in the HR department are really like. Either way, I am happy to be here, learning and developing from a wonderful team who really knows Human Resources.

As a soon to be graduating student, one of the requirements I have to fulfill to receive my degree is to intern within my field. I'm studying Healthcare Management and Communications at Metropolitan State University. When I was first introduced to the entire process I would have to go through as an intern and student I was petrified. There is something about internships that is semi-frightening; however, I could not tell you what specifically was so scary about the idea. Maybe it was having to choose a place that would help build my practical use of skills for my career, or maybe it was the pressure of securing an actual internship site and interviewing for a position, or it could have been the idea that wherever I did choose to intern at would place me on a specific path towards my future career. I had no idea where I saw myself in the Healthcare world, but I already had previous clinical experience being a medical assistant. Either way, I had no idea what I wanted to do exactly and that was scary.

Then, by chance, I met Barbara. She is the Vice President of Human Resources at Pinnacol Assurance. Barbara was kind enough to set me up with an interview with the HR department for a possible internship, and I was nervous. I had already been on 4 other interviews, and still had no direction as to which one would suit me best. I knew that Pinnacol was involved in workers' compensation insurance, but that was about all I knew about them as a company. I did a little bit of research about Pinnacol to prepare me for my interview. I headed into my interview and an hour later walked out more excited about this opportunity than I had expected. Could this be the career opportunity I had been looking for? Something that would challenge me and that was new to me as both an intern and professional? YES! After a few short weeks, I was offered the internship in the Human Resources department.

I just started my third week of my internship and I have learned so much. David and Megan have really taken me under their wing and have taught and included me in so many daily functions of the job in just the short amount of time that I have been here already. Life at Pinnacol is great. The people I am surrounded by are so nice and willing to help me learn anything of interest to me that will help me build a strong professional foundation. All of the people I have been introduced to in the building have made me feel so welcome. I do not get treated like an intern; everyone treats me like a fellow co-worker who is just learning the ropes of the workers compensation world and HR role within the organization.

In just my first few days at Pinnacol as an Intern, I was able to be a part of the new hire process which includes first day paperwork, orientation, and a tour of the facility.  From the moment I sat down with Megan to fill out paperwork and participate in orientation, I could see just how important the company’s mission, vision, and values are and how they are incorporated in everyday work life here. Integrity, innovation, teamwork, accountability and excellence are the core values that really establish Pinnacol as a reputable company. As of now, I am helping new hires fill out paperwork, and after sitting in on a few orientations, I will soon be able to lead orientation and explain what Pinnacol Assurance is all about, including how important a new hires’ role is to ensuring successful business practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment