Pinnacol Assurance on LinkedIn

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2015

My First Year with Pinnacol...

Let me introduce myself. My name is Megan and I am a Human Resources Generalist for Pinnacol. I help with the recruiting process and with onboarding our new employees. If you have read previous entries of this blog you may have seen my name or even been lucky enough to see me dressed as a grape on a bike. I have spent most of my career in retail but was fortunate to have joined Pinnacol in July 2014. It was an exciting yet nerve racking change but one decision I am so happy to have made.

During this first year, I have learned so much and have been given opportunities that have allowed me to grow. It all started with my training. I know many candidates and new employees wonder what the training process looks like when they enter a new position, or in my case, a whole new industry. The training gave me great building blocks to learn the company and core duties of my position. We have a great Learning and Organizational Development team who continue to help make the training structured and meaningful. As is the case with almost any job, there are things you also must learn along the way and in those situations my team has been amazing at answering questions and being available when different situations arise. This is also one of the pieces of feedback I always get from new employees: “Everyone is so friendly and helpful!” Pinnacol also gives the resources to continue your learning and development past the first year by providing onsite and offsite classes and seminars.

One question I receive often from candidates is, “What do you like most about Pinnacol?” I have learned this first year that there isn’t necessarily just one thing, but many things that have made this first year special. First, as I mentioned previously, the individuals I work with make coming to work fun. I learn from them every day. Whether it is discussing work-related processes or learning where the best campsites are in Colorado (Thanks David!) I work with some of the most knowledgeable and enjoyable individuals around. This not only goes for our Employee Services team, but I work with managers and team members around the building who continue to show me this is true for all areas of the company. 

I also enjoy the focus around community involvement. With our Pinnacol in Action program, we are given 16 hours to be able to volunteer in the community. This first year I have been able to participate in events such as a mock interview day with local high school students through Goodwill Industries and a Colorado Rockies ability clinic through the National Sports Center for the Disabled.  I also love that Pinnacol enjoys celebrating our accomplishments and having fun. I have attended an Around the World Food Festival, a picnic celebrating our 100 years, an all employee meeting with performers who sang and danced, and countless other events.

This first year has taught me a lot about Pinnacol as a company. It’s a company where you can continue to learn and grow and who not only takes care of its injured workers and policy holders but also its employees and the community which it serves. I am excited to be a part of the Pinnacol family and to see what Pinnacol has in store for me in the upcoming years! 

No comments:

Post a Comment