Pinnacol Assurance on LinkedIn

Search This Blog

Friday, October 30, 2015

The End is just the Beginning

We have been fortunate enough to have had Alyson as our Intern in Employee Services over the summer. Her internship is coming to an end, but as you'll see that end is just the beginning...

As my internship at Pinnacol comes to an end, I wanted to write a blog about what I have learned. While I have had the opportunity to learn a lot about the company, specifically more about human resources, I think the most valuable lessons I learned are not something that can be graded by my professor or my mentors, but rather are personal lessons that will help me develop within my career.

One of the most important things I learned was continue to develop and maintain your network. Networking is the most important thing that you can do for yourself professionally. This simple act can take your career in directions you never imagined possible.

Another important lesson I learned is that people are more than willing to let you shadow them if you just ask. If the organization you are in is committed to developing you professionally, they will be more than accommodating to allow you to explore career possibilities.

When you put in hard work, it will pay off. Whether you are seeking gratification from your manager, peers or just yourself, taking pride in the work you do is important. If you spend time to get things done the right way and give 100% to a project, you will recognize that the best kind of gratification you will get will be from yourself.

Always ask questions. There really is no such thing as a stupid question. When you don’t have any questions, that’s when people (co-workers, managers, etc.) start to worry. There is no one in the world that knows everything so ask for help when you need it and ask questions.

Your reputation is important. It will follow you. Be kind, humble, and do your absolute best. When you’re feeling negative, walk away and take some time for yourself. Take a short walk or a short coffee break.

Lastly, don’t make it about the money. If you want a career you love, make sure you focus on the culture of a company and how you fit in with others. While a company is judging you , you have to judge them as well. Most people take jobs based on the money, but in reality we all just want to be happy with our jobs. You spend a good majority of your time at work, so make sure that you fit in and the culture is nothing short of fabulous.

I am fortunate enough to have been offered a permanent position at Pinnacol. While my internship is ending, my career is just beginning. I couldn’t be happier to explore all the possibilities that Pinnacol has to offer me. I literally can grow my career under the same roof and never get bored. The culture is what drew me in and the people are what drew me to stay. I’m so fortunate to have had this opportunity. Megan, David, and Dolores (along with the rest of the Employee Services team) have really taught me so much about professionalism, my career goals, and personal development.

Alyson's other blogs:
Attending a Job Fair? Some tips...
Flashback 2002
My Life as an intern at Pinnacol

No comments:

Post a Comment